Episode 17: Embracing A New Normal with Rhonie McBerry
Rhonie McBerry is a licensed radiation therapist providing care to those living with cancer, and is the author of Embracing a New Normal: Words That Surround Your Soul devotionals. She learned to embrace a new normal after being diagnosed with Crohn’s disease in June of 2014 and now uses the power of words to encourage others to see past their darkest days and toward a brighter horizon.
In this episode, Rhonie talks about the concept of devotional writing, using modern dance as a means to enhance and commune with her faith, and the importance of carving out a “happy place” for oneself in their daily routine. We also discuss cupcakes and the necessity of little indulgences.
- Rhonie describes her path to diagnosis in 2014 and the personal transformation that followed.
- Her developing relationship with her faith throughout pregnancy and illness, as well as the sign she saw in her struggle.
- The cathartic experience of laughter and the sitcoms that keep Rhonie going on a rough day.
- Defining “devotional” and why Rhonie encourages listeners to try reading a few.
- Finding a “happy place” through the therapeutic power of music.
- Her funny surgical experience with slow-release anesthesia.
- Rhonie’s liturgical dance ministry and using movement to connect with God.
- How Rhonie’s health challenge led to a rough patch in her marriage—and how counseling made their union stronger than ever.
- The struggle of “not feeling whole” when living with a chronic illness.
- The constructive effect Rhonie’s condition has had on allowing her to face her fears.
- How Rhonie’s personal philosophy became less materialistic and more focused on the moment due to her health journey.
- Join the mailing list for Rhonie’s website to be entered into a drawing for her book!
Words That Surround Your Soul
Rhonie McBerry's website
Rhonie on Instagram + Twitter
Rhonie on Facebook
Podigy Podcast Editing
This is Not What I Ordered is produced by Podigy, a premium podcast editing service. Visit podigy.co and mention This is Not What I Ordered for 50% off the first month of your subscription.
"podcast Cafe" online discussion community
"Therapists + coaches who get it" directory
podcast facebook page
PODCAST twitter + instagram
Follow us @NWIOpodcast
Official hashtag #NWIOpodcast
Comments or questions about the podcast?
Contact LAUREN directly!
Subscribe and review on iTunes <3