Episode 8: Mindfulness + Life's Mystery with Bob Stahl
Bob Stahl has founded 8 Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) programs in medical centers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. He is a long time practitioner of mindfulness meditation, having lived and practiced for over eight years in a Buddhist monastery, and is the guiding teacher at Insight Santa Cruz and a visiting teacher at Spirit Rock Meditation Center. Bob is moved by the Buddha's teachings about impermanence and the body. At one point, he needed to re-learn how to walk due to a dangerous bacterial infection in his foot. To Bob, a fulfilling life is loving and being loved, as well as freeing himself from resentment and grudges.
- Bob's multiple journeys learning how to walk, both as a child and as an adult.
- The story of Buddha and how it ties into an understanding and acceptance of aging and illness.
- His story of a friend's awe-inducing mindfulness on a nature walk.
- Why death is important and even necessary to the human experience.
- Finding the balance of interconnectedness and separation in life and reconciling the two.
- The difference between "reacting" and "responding" in mindfulness.
- Altering our relationship to pain if we can't be rid of it.
- Finding the space between stimulus and response and using awareness to take advantage of it.
- Bob guiding the you through a basic mindfulness exercise.
This is Not What I Ordered is produced by Podigy, a premium podcast editing service. Visit podigy.co and mention This is Not What I Ordered for 50% off the first month of your subscription.
PODCAST twitter + instagram
Follow us @NWIOpodcast
Official hashtag #NWIOpodcast
Comments or questions about the podcast?
Contact LAUREN directly!
Subscribe and review on iTunes <3