Episode 14: An Olympian's Insights on Chronic Pain with Joanna Zeiger
Joanna Zeiger raced as a professional triathlete from 1998 to 2010, placing 4th in the 2000 Sydney Olympics triathlon and winning the 2008 Iron Man 70.3 world championship. She's a seven-time Olympic trials qualifier in three sports: marathon, triathlon and swimming. Joanna still pursues her passion for sports as a top masters runner. In 2009, Joanna was involved in a terrible bike accident that left her with multiple rib cage injuries, resulting in ten surgeries to correct structural and nerve damage and difficult-to-resolve chronic pain. Through her company, Train Away Chronic Pain, Joanna helps people with chronic pain achieve better well-being through exercise and mental skills training. When she's not coaching or running, she's researching. Her book, The Champion Mindset: An Athlete's Guide to Mental Toughness, was published in February 2017.
- Joanna outlines her earlier athletic experience and how reaching for a water bottle led to her career-altering accident.
- Her initial anger at the injury, the resolve she developed, and ultimate acceptance that her career had to shift.
- How Joanna reevaluated her personal goals and found new challenges.
- Realizing that you may not achieve everything you put your mind to—and why that's okay!
- What Joanna values spiritually, recognizing how her potential varies from week to week, and finding a healthy locus of control for herself.
- Taking the time to cry it out when you need to, but also developing more effective ways to cope and push forward.
- Joanna's definition of mental toughness and realizing when to call it quits for your own good.
- The Sisu Quiz: a metric for gauging your level of mental toughness.
- Avoiding letting your negative thoughts take over, and Joanna's favorite positive self-talk phrases.
- The dangerous temptation to take on too much physical activity too fast.
- Joanna's funny "Grey's Anatomy" experience at the doctor's office.
train away chronic pain
Joanna's coaching program
the sisu quiz
Joanna's quiz to test mental toughness
Joanna on Twitter
"podcast Cafe" online discussion community
Podigy Podcast Editing
This is Not What I Ordered is produced by Podigy, a premium podcast editing service. Visit podigy.co and mention This is Not What I Ordered for 50% off the first month of your subscription.
"Therapists + coaches who get it" directory
podcast facebook page
PODCAST twitter + instagram
Follow us @NWIOpodcast
Official hashtag #NWIOpodcast
Comments or questions about the podcast?
Contact LAUREN directly!
Subscribe and review on iTunes <3