Episode 12: We Can Be Lighthouses with Courtney Brame
Courtney Brame is a personal trainer living in St. Louis, Missouri. After being diagnosed with herpes simplex virus 2 (HSV-2) six years ago, he experienced a personal and spiritual growth journey that led him to create and host his own monthly podcast called "Something Positive for Positive People." In each episode, he interviews STD-positive people from around the world who share their experiences living with these conditions. His goal is to reduce the stigma of living with an STD so that people can feel less alone and live more conscious lives. Courtney believes that happiness is achieved when you become more concerned about what happens through you, rather than to you.
This episode contains discussions of suicide and depression. If you are feeling distressed, please do not hesitate to call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
- Courtney developing mindfulness of his physical and mental health shortly after his diagnosis, and how it brought him back to physical training.
- How Courtney uses writing to manage his emotions.
- What happened when he overcame his fear of telling others about his diagnosis.
- What it means for Courtney to be in "zombie mode," and how he began making more conscious choices about his life.
- The importance of not telling a single story or narrative when discussing STDs.
- Courtney's calling to become a lighthouse that guides others on their health journeys.
- Dealing with rejection constructively and how to find strength in vulnerability.
SOMETHING POSITIVE FOR POSITIVE PEOPLE
COURTNEY ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Podigy Podcast Editing
This is Not What I Ordered is produced by Podigy, a premium podcast editing service. Visit podigy.co and mention This is Not What I Ordered for 50% off the first month of your subscription.
"Therapists + coaches who get it" directory
podcast facebook page
"podcast Cafe" online discussion community
PODCAST twitter + instagram
Follow us @NWIOpodcast
Official hashtag #NWIOpodcast
Comments or questions about the podcast?
Contact LAUREN directly!
Subscribe and review on iTunes <3