Episode 23: Street Art Superhero with Blur [Part 1]
Blur is a street artist and poet based in Philadelphia. Her experiences with multiple chronic illnesses--including Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS), Chronic Lyme Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and Cervical Dystonia--pushed her to take full advantage of the artistic tendencies she previously only explored in private. She wants her artwork to bring out the vulnerability and empathy in everyone who views it and forge a connection with her audience through that sense of catharsis.
In the first of a two-part series, Blur discusses how severe illness inspired her to make her art public, making the rebel inside of her to fight back against her obedient tendencies, and the dual aspects of her identity that being an anonymous artist has allowed her to appreciate.
"I DO THINK MOST PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW THEMSELVES, BUT IT'S SCARY. IT'S A SCARY THING TO DO." - BLUR
- Blur describes her health journey from swine flu, to "zombie walk," to Lyme disease.
- How Blur began channeling her physical struggle into artwork.
- Pushing back against obedient impulses and finding your inner rebel.
- How Blur's artistic and rebellious instincts converged into her current street art projects.
- "Peeling the sticker" and dismantling shame about our illnesses.
- What Blur finds freeing about her pseudonym and the anonymity that comes with it.
- Embracing informal modes education and recognizing that it's never too late to learn or create.
- Debunking the myth of being the "perfect patient."
- Finding a way to contribute to culture and the world without burning yourself out.
- Exploring the "Clark Kent" and "Superman" versions of ourselves.
Street Artist + Poet
discount code @ blur's online art shop
Enter code "NOTWHATIORDERED" to get 20% off art prints
blur ON instagram + facebook
Podigy Podcast Editing
This is Not What I Ordered is produced by Podigy, a premium podcast editing service. Visit podigy.co and mention This is Not What I Ordered for 50% off the first month of your subscription.
"podcast Cafe" online discussion community
"Therapists + coaches who get it" directory
podcast facebook page
PODCAST twitter + instagram
Follow us @NWIOpodcast
Official hashtag #NWIOpodcast
Comments or questions about the podcast?
Contact LAUREN directly!
Subscribe and review on iTunes <3